CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Silence

As I turned on my computer i pulled up my itunes and turned on Everlasting God by Lincoln Brewster. I love that song. But then something inside of me told me to turn it off. I remember the other day as I went into work me and Reid both got on our computers and where looking up stuff for youth. Then he said "its really quiet...its nice." Up until then I really hadn't noticed, but indeed it was quiet, it was silent. I couldn't remember the last time I had just sat in silence. It was refreshing. So that is what I have been doing tonight, enjoying to silence. The world is such a loud and chaotic place that we really don't notice it until we just sit and listen to the silence of an empty room.
It gives you a time to slow down and reflect and take in all of the days events. But most importantly it gives us a time to listen and tune in with God.
It reminds me of the story of when Elijah went on the mountain to meet with God:

"The Lord said, "Go out ad stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." -1 Kings 19:11-12 (NIV)

It makes me think, so many of us, including myself, are so distracted by the winds and rocks and fires of life that when God whispers to us we cant hear him!
It really puts me in my place. The big things in life don't seem so big anymore. It seems easier to push aside the distractions of life when you understand how important it is to listen to what God has to say. We are nothing compared to Him, but still he loves us unconditionally. We owe him our attention, we owe him our ears, and we owe him our silence.

Sometimes our silence is all we can give to God. Sometimes their are so many things going on and so many things we want to say to God but just cant find the words to speak with. And that's ok, God gave us silence for a reason. He knows our hearts.

"...For the Lord searches all hearts and minds and understands all the wanderings of the thoughts. If you seek Him [inquiring for and of Him and requiring Him as your first and vital necessity] you will find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever! "
-1 Chronicles 28:9 ( The Amplified Bible)

God is in control of it all! His Will will be done no matter what we say or do not say....and sometimes its just better not to say anything at all and let God do his will.

This all reminds me of my favorite passage in the Bible and I cant think of a better way to wrap this all up than by using it.

A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
A TIME TO BE SILENT AND A TIME TO SPEAK,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

0 comments: